MetaCard 2.4.3 alpha 2

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Fri May 31 13:39:00 EDT 2002

On Thu, 30 May 2002 sadhu at castandcrew.com (Sadhunathan Nadesan)

> When I tried to use a newer interpreter than 2.4 on RH Linux 6.2, I got
> an error message that indicated the gnu C shared libraries had to be a
> newer version.
>
> I am concerned that if I do this, a lot of programs using the older
> libraries might break.  And that, not being an expert in this area,
> I may not be able to fix things.

Actually you're better off having a newer OS as they are more likely
to be able to run older apps than an older OS is to be able to run
newer apps.

> Or even if so, I am fearful it would be excessive effort.  Upgrading to
> the newest RH would likely be a very excessive effort for me, I would
> probably only do so by buying a new computer, installing from scratch,
> and getting all the multitude of services running (eg, linking the tape
> drive drivers to the kernel, etc, etc) before moving my data over to it
> and  putting it up as my live web server.

And to think they make jokes about "DLL Hell" on Win32 systems: The
forced-upgrade problems recently on Linux are just about as bad ;-)

> Can you allay these fears or offer any suggestions?  Is it possible to
> get a version of 2.4.3 compiled for RH 6.2?

Unfortunately no, and given the number of security holes in 6.X and
the corresponding number of patches required to plug them IMHO you're
better off just upgrading.  The only other option is to use 2.4.3 for
graphical development and continue to use an older release for CGI.
Not that much has changed in the language core and so you're unlikely
to run into compatibility problems with this approach.
  Regards,
    Scott

> Thanks,
> Sadhu

PS: Please, bug reports and requests like this should go to
support at metacard.com or bugs at metacard.com, not to the list...