shell on OS X

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon May 6 17:34:01 EDT 2002

On Sunday, May 5, 2002, at 03:44 PM, Mark Talluto wrote:

>> I'm with you... There are a MILLION different things I'd like to
>> do with
>> MetaCard for OS X, but I can't do them because MC for OS X
>> doesn't allow
>> shell commands.  I end up using mc (darwin), or AppleScript, and
>> I'd much
>> rather use MetaCard (OS X version.)  There are a bunch of us who
>> could write
>> some serious kick-ass apps if MC could do this.
>
> I heard that we are moving over to a Mach-O build for the OS X
> version of MC on the next release.  So, we should be very close to
> having Shell support on X soon.

I'm a Revolution newbie (mostly) lurking on the mc list while I'm
learning to program scripts.  However, I did make a makeshift shell
command when I first started learning.  Perhaps it is a starting
point for something that can work until a real shell comes about.

function shellSH cmd
   -- Sorry, no quote marks in cmd in this version
   -- And shellCommand is ignored
   put "do shell script" & quote & cmd & quote into s
   do s as AppleScript
   put result() into r
   replace numToChar(13) with linefeed in r
   return r
end shellSH

This uses sh and not tcsh that the Terminal program uses.  I had to
use absolute paths.

One experienced with AppleScript might use the Terminal program.

Use with caution.

Dar Scott