metacard digest, Vol 1 #195 - 10 msgs

Richard MacLemale rmaclemale at earthlink.net
Sun May 5 17:13:01 EDT 2002

On 5/5/02 12:01 PM, "metacard-request at lists.runrev.com"
<metacard-request at lists.runrev.com> wrote:

> From: Simon Lord <slord at mac.com>
> To: metacard at lists.runrev.com
>
> How much closer are we to having put Shell() work in OSX?

Scott may answer, but my guess would be "no closer." MetaCard for OS X is a
Carbon app, and from what I understand there's no way for Carbon apps to be
able to issue UNIX commands.  Cocoa apps can do this, but rewriting MetaCard
in Cocoa from the ground up would not be a lot of fun for MetaCard, and from
what I hear Cocoa isn't totally all there yet.

But what about an external which could issue UNIX commmands and act as a
"go-between" between Carbon and OS X?

I'm with you... There are a MILLION different things I'd like to do with
MetaCard for OS X, but I can't do them because MC for OS X doesn't allow
shell commands.  I end up using mc (darwin), or AppleScript, and I'd much
rather use MetaCard (OS X version.)  There are a bunch of us who could write
some serious kick-ass apps if MC could do this.

--
:)
Richard MacLemale