Dumb Question About Variables (Revisited)

Gregory Lypny gregory.lypny at videotron.ca
Tue Mar 26 10:35:01 EST 2002

Hi Everyone,

     A few days ago I asked about creating variables on the fly.  It was
suggested that I enclose the unchanging part of the variable name in
quotations.  So I tried the repeat loop below as an experiment, hoping to
generate H1 = 11, H2, =12, and so on, up to H10 =20.

 repeat with i = 1 to 10
    put i+10 into ("H" & i)
 end repeat

     It doesn't fly, unfortunately, and the error message I get is bad
chunk and a reference to the left parenthesis.  Removing the parenthesis
doesn't help, but makes H the bad chunk.  However, I remember being able
to do this in HyperCard.  Any thoughts?

     By the way, the technique above (as I think everyone knows) works if
the container is a field rather than a variable.

     put i+10 into fld ("H" + i)   -- not a problem

     Greg

Gregory Lypny
Associate Professor of Finance
John Molson School of Business
Concordia University

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
       - Anonymous

E-mail forum:   markets at concordia.ca
Visit Pareto at http://rubbersoul.concordia.ca
Visit Borsa at http://rubbersoul.concordia.ca/Borsa_Classroom