Multiple Platform Release info

Shari gogypsy at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 26 08:04:00 EST 2002

>They both use the same file format and engine.  What was happening in Rev
>that prevented saves?

Nothing that prevented saves specifically.  There are two kinds of saves...

Saving the current file you are working in.  If there is a crash,
that file can end up toast (which did happen to me, I had to rebuild
the whole project from scratch).

Saving as... into a separate file.  I don't use this option.  I want
to "save as" as a new, separate file, not close my current file and
end up working in the new file.  I have a system and it kind of blows
my system to work this way.  That's perfect for graphics, when I'm
working on new graphics etc., but for the project file, nope.  I need
for the project file to keep the generic name, and the saves to have
appendages.  Main = "Poker"  Save = "Poker 1" "Poker 2" etc.  So that
when I open that folder, I know that "Poker" is the most current
project file.

Also, I've stumbled over the memory issue, where Metacard/Revolution
"retain" stacks in memory that are closed.  And then ask me questions
later that I'm not certain how to answer.  I do not know what
ramifications my answers will have as far as the current open project
goes.  So I choose to avoid this issue.  I'm way behind schedule so I
use my minutes wisely.  (I don't have time to dig into every question
that arises... only the questions critical to what I'm doing right
now.)

So for me to "Save As"... I take the long road... I quit the program,
copy the file, and relaunch.

But Metacard is so stable, I do not have to worry as much about
crashes that fry the project.  So saving into the current file as I
work, and just occasionally making an external back up, is sufficient.

Revolution however, was another matter... the instability made saving
every bit of new data outside the project critical.

--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--
http://www.gypsyware.com