Multiple Platform Release info

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon Mar 25 03:52:01 EST 2002

At 9:13 pm -0500 24/3/02, Shari wrote:
>>The Windows equivalent of the Preferences folder is the Registry. It is a
>>single file that holds all the preference settings for all programs on the
>>PC. You can use 'setRegistry' and 'queryRegistry' commands in MC to set and
>>get preferences.
>>
>>Ken Ray
>>Sons of Thunder Software
>
>No good.  Need something where you can put a actual file, such as a
>text file.  Surely there is a place in Windows?

There is an Applications Data folder that can be used for this. This
is probably better than the Registry as I think "plain users" in
default XP installations will not be able to write to the Registry.
(not sure about that.)

There is an "all users" Applications Data folder for data that is
application-specific, and also a folder for each user that can be
used for user-specific data.

You can get the path to these folders using the  specialfolderpath
function. Tuv Snyder revealed on the list some time back how this
function can be extended beyond the default "special folders" by
passing an integer that corresponds to the Windows API
SHGetFolderPath  value/constant. The values for the "Applications
Data" folders are:

get specialFolderPath(35) -- common Application Data folder

get specialFolderpath(26) -- user's Application Data folder

I think the idea is that you should make a folder for your own
application in these places.

Warning:  This works fine for me on XP. But I just tested the
function with these values on NT 4.0 and Metacard crashed. This may
be my machine as my NT installation has been acting up recently.
Perhaps someone can confirm whether this is working reliably on other
Windows versions.

Cheers
Dave Cragg