WindowShape

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Mar 20 22:02:01 EST 2002

Recently, J. Landman Gay wrote:

>> When setting the windowShape of a stack on Windows
>
> I tried to do that too, but I don't think I had the right kind of image.
> How do you make a masked image? I'm not entirely straight on what an
> alpha mask is.

Ever create a transparent GIF?  That image has a mask that determines which
parts of the the image are opaque and those that are transparent.  You can
use transparent GIFs or PNG images as the source images for your window
masks, but note that the alpha mask needs to be 1 bit black and white only
-- no shades of gray (but hopefully in the future...).

Photoshop is the big player for creating these images but FireWorks and any
other bitmap apps that allow you to save GIFs and PNGs will work.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director

Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design