mci & midi questions

Leston Drake ldrake at lpsoftware.com
Wed Mar 20 16:48:00 EST 2002

I need some help.

I'm trying to add some 'background' music to an application and I would
like to use MIDI (small files are good).
In MetaCard (on Windows) you use the mciSendString() function to send
commands to the Windows system, and this is fine, except that I need a
comprehensive list of commands.

Specifically, I need to periodically query the device to know when it has
reached the end, so I can restart it.
There is a STATUS command for MCI, but it doesn't seem to work with the
MIDI SEQUENCER device. If it does, I have no idea what the valid parameters
are. The example for STATUS in the MCI.MC file available from MetaCard's
website doesn't work either, it is lacking a (vital) parameter.

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of MCI Commands?

Related question that I will need to address - is there any way to
*natively* play MIDI on Mac?

TIA,
Leston