calling handlers with keys

Uwe Friese friese at intelligent-implants.de
Fri Mar 15 06:14:01 EST 2002

Hi all!

Before bothering you with silly questions I´d like to introduce myself as a
MC newby with some experience with HyperCard in the context of Experimental
Psychology. Please excuse me if I´m using weird terms sometimes, but apart
from having no formal training in programming I´m also german ;-)

I need a way to call handlers within a repeat loop at different keyBoard
actions, like

repeat
    "keyX"-->handler1
    "keyY"-->handler2
    "keyZ"-->handler3
end repeat

I understand I could use the commandKey, enterKey etc. messages, but that´s
not very handy. The next thing in my mind was using keysDown(), but the
problem here is, that the keys pressed "survive" in keysDown() during
subsequent repeats and I can´t disriminate if the key was pressed again or
if it´s still the key from the foregoing repeat. At the moment I solve this
by sending a type command, which slows down the execution of the rest of
the repeat loop.

I´m sure there is a more elegant way to solve the problem?

Best regards,
Uwe