mc 2.4.2 request (Scott Raney)

Alex Shaw A.Shaw at mailbox.gu.edu.au
Wed Mar 13 02:54:00 EST 2002

> > Wouldn't it be nice if there was a simple function which returned
> > the host ip address (whichever was current or a list of valid ones)
> > without having to open a socket.
>
>What use would this be?  You'd always get a list, and wouldn't know
>which one would be used until you actually opened a socket.
>   Regards,
>      Scott

Hi Scott,

In respect to a particular app I'm developing.. just a simple p2p mac/pc
file/msg transfer program.

I can't have a server involved (yet), and the users know little about ftp
etc but they do understand what a phone number is, so basically the IP
address of their machine becomes their 'phone number'. Instead of providing
each with a piece of paper with their IP address (not helpful because the
users could be anywhere) I would like them to just run the app.. if
connected to the internet use the IP for that (andu suggested a check for
www.yahoo.com but who can guarantee yahoo be around a year from now) else
connected via LAN adpater so display the associated address (in this
particular case I know the users will have either a modem or 1 LAN
adapter). Once they know their IP address, that can be shared with other
users etc.. & they can 'dial' & connect with each other. Just easier from a
user (& programming) perspective.

I think having access to available host IP addresses would also be handy
when writing general server apps that would service multiple adapters & you
just want to populate a combo list for choice selection.

..also any plans to support HTML tables within fields? :)

regards
alex