metacard for CGI

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Mar 6 04:25:00 EST 2002

>  Subject: metacard for CGI
>
>  I am putting together some documentation regarding the use of
>  metatalk/rev for CGI scripts and I wanted to ask the list for some
>  feedback:
>
>  -how many of you are currently using metatalk/rev for CGI

me for one...

>  -the context(tasks performed) it is being used as well as the
>  environment (production/tests/platform)

I run MC in combination with Valentina database engine under Mac OS
9.2 to provide access to a few online (private) databases and
programmatically produce web pages (for public use) from some of
them. Databases contain course information and personnel data.

>  -the approximate amount of traffic handled by the CGIs

Relatively small and comes in peaks when there are update deadlines.
At present, there are less than 50 potential users but this will
change next semester when class and exam signups is added.

>  -your location (if this is sensitive in any way, please send it to me
>  off the list, I only need this info for statistics)

University of Postdam with some 12000 students but I am serving only
one of the departments.

>  -if any of you are using other script languages for CGI (PHP, ASP, etc.)
>  I'd appreciate some feedback as to how does metatalk/rev compare in
>  terms of productivity/performance with the other language(s)

I used to script CGIs in AppleScript and looked into RB as
alternative to MC. MC is my choice for the task as I need flexibility
in handling text, easy access to the database, and being able to
produce quickly decent interfaces for my own use. AS is too slow and
inflexible. RB would be faster but it falls behind on other points.

>  -the main disadvantage you see in using metatalk/rev for CGI scripting
>  *besides some difficulty with debugging*

Debugging CGIs in any language is a pain. That is a nature of that
software. I think the biggest disadvantage of MC is in performance
limitations, but that comes to play only for more heavily used sites.

Robert