MetaCard Spreadsheet/Gradebook

Richard Gaskin ambassador at FourthWorld.com
Tue Mar 5 17:35:00 EST 2002

Ray Horsley wrote:

> on 3/5/02 10:35 AM, Richard Gaskin at ambassador at fourthworld.com wrote:
>
>> Ray Horsley wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Fellow Scripters,
>>>

>>> I've just finished a Beta release of the Gradebook section of LinkIt!
>>> Software.  I mentioned this project a few weeks ago when there was much
>>> accolade welcoming MetaCard 2.4.2's improvements in using fields as grids to
>>> simulate a table.  I had over a dozen responses from my note, very
>>> encouraging, thank you, so I thought I'd announce; you can download it at
>>> LinkItOnline.Com for either Mac or Windows.
>>>
>>> It's the first real spreadsheet-like interface I've seen in a MetaCard
>>> project, and it works quite well.  Current features include:
>>>
>>> Column and row selection
>>> Vertical and horizontal scrolling (first column locked)
>>> Column and row selection
>>> Contiguous and non-contiguous cell selection
>>> Store comments behind cells and column headings
>>> Cut, copy and pasting cells (includes text styles and comments)
>>> Set text style, and color for individual cells
>>> Set color for grid lines and borders
>>> Set text, font, size and line height for overall table
>>> Add/delete/insert columns and rows
>>> No practical limit on number of rows and columns per gradebook
>>> No practical limit on number of grading terms per file
>>> Columns, gradebooks, and terms are easily renamed
>>> Adjust column width by dragging double arrow cursor
>>> Select all button in top left corner
>>> Saving gradebook is a tiny compressed file of user data only
>>> Save user data to or fetch it from a web site
>>> Sorting by any column
>>> Move columns and rows manually with arrow keys
>>> Password protection
>>> Printing of main spread sheet (gradebook) and student reports
>>> Hide/Show columns
>>> User data is automatically saved
>>>
>>> Please don't hesitate to give me any feedback on this project if you're
>>> interested.
>>
>> I've been thinking about spreadsheets a lot lately, and I'm curious about
>> your circumstance:  What is the end result of what you'll be making with the
>> spreadsheet?
>

> It's the Gradebook section of LinkIt!, a suite of educatiion tools.  Other
> sections of LinkIt! include Test Design, Test Administration, Multimedia,
> and some other misc. stuff.  It's a pretty easy web site to gt info on at:
> LinkItOnline.Com

Of the features you listed, how many are needed by you for making this
suite, and how many are needed by the end-user?

 Custom Software and Web Development for All Major Platforms
 Developer of WebMerge 1.9: Publish any Database on Any Site