queryRegistry for app *name*

Craig Spooner cspooner at lamar.colostate.edu
Mon Jun 24 18:22:01 EDT 2002

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if it's possible to find the path to an application in the
Windows registry by its name only?  I'm familiar with looking up the path
using the file extension -- hkey_classes_root... -- but it would be so
handy if we could identify and launch an app just by supplying its name
(e.g., photoshp.exe or notepad.exe).  I've seen this capability in the WISE
installer, so I assume the info is available in the registry database.  I'd
like to create a little autorun/installer and this capability would be ideal.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Craig

Craig Spooner