Listing

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Wed Jun 19 05:12:02 EDT 2002

At 12:51 am -0400 17/6/02, Simon Lord wrote:
>Is there a quick way to get the directory listing of a supplied URL?
>I just want to get a list of files from a directory on the server
>which obviously has no index.html file.

For http servers, this will depend on the server configuration.
Basically, what you will get is what appears in a browser window when
you type in the url. Most (many??) servers provide directory listings
when there is no index.html file, but the listing is html formatted
and the formatting is not the same across servers. Other servers may
just redirect to some kind of error page.

For ftp urls, you'll get a directory listing.

Cheers
Dave Cragg