CGI with Apache on Win2k

shop shop at paynesparkman.com
Thu Jul 18 07:02:01 EDT 2002

I've just started experimenting with a CGI under Apache 2.0.39 on Win2k.

Here's my CGI file called test.cgi:
#!/cgi-bin/mc (also tried #!mc)
on startup
    put "Your CGI script worked."
end startup

Here's pertinent stuff from my httpd.conf file:
ServerRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2"

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/">
    AllowOverride None
    Options All (I tried ExecCGI first)
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

I can tell that the server is working because I get the default Apache page
when there is no index.html and I am now able to bring up the index.html I
added.
Here's the error I get:

Server error!
  Error message:
  couldn't create child process: 22503: C:/Program Files/Apache
Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/test.cgi
  If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster
Error 500

I'm tempted to think it's a problem with my path statements since none of
the unix-oriented instructions show path statements begining with "C:".
However, if I misspell test.cgi in the address bar of my browser, I get
Object Not Found.  If my path statements were wrong I would expect to get
the Object Not Found error regardless of how I spelled my url.  The only
other suspect I can come up with is permissions.  I've seen a number of
references to this being a problem, but I'm finding it difficult to map the
unix oriented directions to Win2k.  Besides, if this is the problem,
shouldn't I get an error which says I don't have permission to access that
file?  I also tried adding the tools and home stacks to the cgi-bin folder
wiht no luck.  Any suggestions? Andu (thanks for your earlier help by the
way)?

Rich Mooney
Payne Sparkman Mfg.
shop at paynesparkman.com