mouse tracking blues

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Jul 9 16:50:01 EDT 2002

Recently, "jbv"  wrote:

> I'm facing a problem for which using
> a repeat loop inside a mousedown seems to be the
> only solution, and of course I met the problem of
> the mouseup event not being trapped by my script.

>... I can't use mousemove, since the image must
> keep scrolling even when the mouse isn't moving, as long
> as it is down.

Are you sure you can't use mouseMove?  It sounds to me like you could try
using "send in" instead of "repeat", like this (untested):

on mouseDown
   set the uAllowScroll of this stack to true
   doScroll
end mouseDown

on mouseMove x,y
   if not the uAllowScroll of this stack then exit mouseMove
   set the uMLoc of this stack to x & "," & y
end mouseMove

on doScroll
   if not the uAllowScroll of this stack then exit doScroll
   put item 1 of the uMLoc of this stack into x
   show img 1 at max(-633,min(1432,x - (trunc((x-400)/10)))),300
   send "doScroll" to me in 2 milliseconds
end doScroll

on mouseUp
   set the uAllowScroll of this stack to false
end mouseUp

on mouseRelease
   mouseUp
end mouseRelease

Technically you don't really need to toggle the mouseMove detection since
you're not relying on it to scroll your object, but perhaps doing so
eliminates unnecessary events.

Maybe this will work for you...

Regards,

Scott Rossi