Running CGI's locally on OSX

Richard MacLemale rmaclema at pasco.k12.fl.us
Thu Jul 4 13:21:00 EDT 2002

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://mitchellonline.pasco.k12.fl.us/training/metacardcgi.htm

Let me know if there's any mistakes in it, because I wrote it half a year
ago.  Also, there's one important piece of info that I think I left out.
When writing a cgi script for darwin mc, the script must contain UNIX line
breaks, NOT Mac line breaks.  Which means you can't write it in TextEdit or
SimpleText.  The best, easiest way to do this is to grab a free copy of
BBEdit Lite, which can save files with UNIX line breaks.  Then you're off to
the races!

One other non-documented thing.  You can give a script permission to run as
root, meaning it can do anything root can do.  This is sometimes handy for
pulling off stuff that would otherwise not be possible.  But it opens up a
security hole, in that if anyone figured out a way to modify the script they
could do serious damage.  But so long as the script is owned by root and the
group and everyone privs are read only, you should be safe.

I've been using darwin mc with CGI scripts to help run my high school
network for a while now, and it IS the coolest thing ever.

--
:)
Richard MacLemale