SampleDraw challenge

Richard Gaskin ambassador at FourthWorld.com
Wed Jan 30 18:30:00 EST 2002

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> How do you _interactively_ create an object in a background?
>
> That is, without hiding the scroll bars. :)
>
> There have been many good tips here recently for creating objects in
> backgrounds, but if memory serves none of them addressed the case of a
> drawing application, in which the user creates objects interactively and
> manipulates them with the pointer tool.
>
> If we use a background with scrollbars, and use a non-selectable graphic as
> the first object in that group to serve as a pane (defining the scrollable
> area) we're off to a good start as far as letting the user maniplate
> objects.  But to make new ones by dragging them out with the graphic tool?
> Hmmm....

Here's one workaround I discovered this afternoon:

  on newGraphic
    lock messages
    copy last grc to grp "contents"
    delete last grc
    unlock messages
    select last grc of grp "contents"
    pass newGraphic
  end newGraphic

It' still imperfect, as it lets the user draw the object initially on top of
the scrollbars.  But it moves into the group so quickly that it's a livable
annoyance.

Any other solutions?

Also:  Is there a way to interactively edit points of a polygon graphic?

 Custom Software and Web Development for All Major Platforms
 Developer of WebMerge 1.9: Publish your database on the Web