SampleDraw challenge

Richard Gaskin ambassador at FourthWorld.com
Wed Jan 30 17:39:00 EST 2002

The SuperCard package shipped with a handy example app called SampleDraw,
elements of which are useful to most apps.   One of the useful things about
SC's backgrounds being independent of the window is that they effectively
form a window "pane", making printing large backgrounds a one-liner and
other niceties.

Most of those I've gotten around, but find my pre-coffee self stumped on
this one:

  How do you _interactively_ create an object in a background?

That is, without hiding the scroll bars. :)

There have been many good tips here recently for creating objects in
backgrounds, but if memory serves none of them addressed the case of a
drawing application, in which the user creates objects interactively and
manipulates them with the pointer tool.

If we use a background with scrollbars, and use a non-selectable graphic as
the first object in that group to serve as a pane (defining the scrollable
area) we're off to a good start as far as letting the user maniplate
objects.  But to make new ones by dragging them out with the graphic tool?
Hmmm....

 Custom Software and Web Development for All Major Platforms
 Developer of WebMerge 1.9: Publish your database on the Web