Menuhistory bug?

David Epstein depstein at att.net
Sat Jan 26 11:28:00 EST 2002

Is this a well known bug?  Is it being fixed?

(MC 2.4 under Mac OS 9.2)

A hierarchical pull-down menu does not properly set its "menuhistory" when a
selection is made from a submenu.  The "menuhistory" value remains what was
set the last time a selection was made from the first level of the menu.

I know that I can use the parameter passed by "menupick" to get the contents
of the menu choice and submenu choice; but I want the position of those
choices, because I cannot be sure that the content will unambiguously
indicate the position.  (That is, it is possible that the same content will
appear in several positions yet require a different scripted response).

This is a frustrating bug because the "menuhistory" DOES at least report the
sub-menu choice position if the button style is popup rather than pulldown.
(Even in this case, however, there is no record of the position of the main
menu choice).  But it appears that for a menu to be part of a group that
will be displayed in the Mac menubar it must have the "pulldown" style.

Thanks for any insights on this.

David Epstein