Launching a URL in OSX is Cake?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Jan 25 10:10:01 EST 2002

on 25/1/02 7:11 AM, Scott Rossi at scott at tactilemedia.com wrote:

>>> I like using the ascii for "delete" as a placeholder, because it works
>>> fine and there's no way a user has typed it.
>
>> You know, that's a good point about not being able to type "delete".
>
> "formFeed" is another useful option.

But watch out a bit, because the fact that a user can't type it doesn't mean
it can't - at least in principle - be a character in a legitimate and
genuine path.

This isn't completely hairsplitting; all my file info xfcns return line
format lists (ie ascii CR, 13, is the delimiter).  My many useful old file
manipulation stacks which recurse over folders now choke on the files that
Apple introduced to hold custom icons for folders, named - so to speak -
"icon%0D" (ie the file name ends with a return character - so my lists of
files include two names of non-existent files, "icon" and <empty>).

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866