Launching a URL in OSX is Cake?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Jan 24 14:43:01 EST 2002

On Thursday, January 24, 2002, at 11:09  AM, Geoff Canyon wrote:

>> Does anyone know of a reason why this method should be avoided?
>
> Because programming should be hard! I remember when we had to write our
> own compilers BY HAND -- on an abacus! You kids today don't know how
> easy you have it...

On a related note, I come from a print background where we created page
layouts by having type set for us on photo paper and pasting it down
onto boards with rubber cement.  Making corrections to anything required
cutting the paper with an Exacto(TM) blade and pasting new type into
position.  Try this sometime with 6 point legal type and make it
straight.  You kids today with your fancy shmancy page layout programs
and printers don't know how easy you have it...

At any rate, it seems that launching any old document is also possible
without having to reference the document's creator application:

   answer file "Locate file:"
   put it into tPath
   delete char 1 of tPath
   replace "/" with ":" in tPath
   put "tell application" && quote & "Finder" & quote & cr &\
       "open file" && quote & tPath & quote & cr &\
       "end tell" into s
   do s as AppleScript

This should open the target document as if it was doubleclicked.

Shouldn't this be more difficult?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director, Tactile Media