Launching a URL in OSX is Cake?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Jan 24 13:59:01 EST 2002

On Thursday, January 24, 2002, at 10:31  AM, I wrote:

> Am I missing something or is the launching URLs and mail links
> extremely easy in OSX?
>
> Using the following seems to launch IE or Mail perfectly:
>
>    ### tURL is the HTTP or mail address to be launched
>    put "open location" && quote & tURL & quote into s
>    do s as AppleScript
>
> Does anyone know of a reason why this method should be avoided?

On a related note, Richard Gaskin suggested using something like the
following AppleScript to launch a local HTML document.  However, I found
I had to change the directory delimiter of the document path to a colon
to avoid execution errors.

   ### tLaunchPath is the path of the HTML document to be launched
   delete char 1 of tLaunchPath
   replace "/" with ":" in tLaunchPath
   put "tell application"&& quote & "Finder" & quote & cr &\
       "open file"&& quote & tLaunchPath & quote & cr &\
       "end tell" into s
   do s as AppleScript

If anyone has found alternate scripts/techniques, I'm sure list members
would appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director, Tactile Media