xy

Richard Gaskin ambassador at FourthWorld.com
Wed Jan 23 14:53:01 EST 2002

Tereza Snyder wrote:

>> new and improved... no flashy text...
>>
>> on xy
>> repeat until the mouseClick
>> get the mouseLoc&&"  horz:"&the mouseH&&"  vert:"&the mouseV
>> if it is not lastxy then
>> put it
>> put it into lastxy
>> end if
>> end repeat
>> end xy
>
> To avoid bottling up the engine servicing your loop:
>
> on mouseMove mX, mY
> put format( "horz: %d  vert: %d", mX, mY )
> end mouseMove
>
> Scott Raney has told us in the past that "repeat until the mouseClick" is
> not a good idea because it bolixes up the event handling in the engine. I've
> found that mouseMove works wonderfully in situations where you'd be tempted
> to use "repeat until the mouse is up" or similar loops.

Very true, but in this case it turns a very simple handler into a project.
:)

The example you posted has a different effect than the goal being met by the
others:  HC's traditional xy handler is invoked only until the mouse is
clicked, and then stops.  Using a mousemove handler is an always-on
proposition, requiring a second handler to invoke it by setting a flag, and
a modification to the mousemove to check that flag.

Since xy is the only thing running when it's used, the performance
degredation is less of an issue.

 Custom Software and Web Development for All Major Platforms
 Developer of WebMerge 1.9: Publish your database on the Web