brackets

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Jan 18 05:01:03 EST 2002

>parentheses! curly brackets!
>this was once a topic.
>
>for me, clarity is the issue, esp. with a long
>line. logical evaluations too:
>if (a=b) and (c<>d) then...
>
>i just wondered if MetaCard had some quirks...

It seems that parenthesis in MC are required more often than in HC.
Particularly in more complex expressions where functions are used
among &'s -- MC sometimes concates too much before evaluating the
function. Admitedly, in all cases, the syntax is  somewhat ambigous.
It seems that HC scopes such expressions a bit differently than MC.
The parenthesis seem also usually required in more complex
expressions, like inlining a function as a parameter of another
function. My rules of thumb became to use parenthesis anywhere I use
an expression instead of a constant or variable.

Robert