AppleScript not working

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Sun Jan 13 12:50:00 EST 2002

I was thinking of sending this as a bug report, but I'm not sure if
it's really a bug...

I'm trying to send some AppleScripts to the Finder, but they're not
working.  MetaCard does support AppleScript natively, right?

Take this script posted in the list recently as an example:
   do "tell application "& quote &"finder"& quote &" to restart" as \
  "applescript"

When I put that into the msg box, it simply says
alternate language not found.

If I try
send ("tell application "& quote &"finder"& quote &" to restart") to
program "Finder" with "MISCDOSC"
(another method suggested by Sjoerd)
I get the error message
Got error -1708 when sending Apple event

What's the problem?  Do I need to install the externals collection?
I tried running the external collection from
www.xworlds.com/metacard/ but the AppleScript external actually just
crashed my computer (though I was in 2.4 at the moment, not 2.4.1) .
AppleScript works neither in 2.4 nor 2.4.1.

Ideas?  Suggestions?  Just a flat-out bug?

Thanks much
--
Karl Becker, KB Productions - http://www.karlbecker.com
Featuring:New Tricks, Tiger's Eye Pub, and The Fishin' Hole