why metacard?

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Wed Jan 9 18:56:01 EST 2002

>Geoff Canyon ecrivait / wrote:
>
>>Everything I create (other than development utilities) is delivered
>>as a standalone, so the player doesn't do much for me. It sounds
>>like you would appreciate the player.
>
>I tried, me too.
>But 1.9 Mb is too much for a simple notepad (I'm speaking of my
>stacks ;-)), isn't it?
>I know that RB users do that, but I am not satisfied with this...

I'm not too happy with it either.  Awhile back I tried a project
that, while still is out there, didn't have the initial impact I was
hoping for.

Check out <http://www.karlbecker.com/newtricks/>

I was hoping to get a copy of that word processor on a bunch of
computers - it's a full-featured word processor, yes, but the great
thing is that the MC engine is in there too.  The "Add-ons" feature
of the program is really just a way to get MetaCard stacks to run on
people's computers without the added file size of a standalone
project.  It's still a good idea, but the program could use some
work, of course...  if anyone's ever interested, just e-mail.

I think the developer stack is actually not even working... if you're
that interested, you'll probably e-mail me anyway  ;-)

Oh, and as far as why MetaCard is the stuff... It uses the exact same
syntax as HyperCard (which I learned on) , but it extends it in so
many great and easy-to-program ways I can't help but not use it.
Other languages often frustrate me with their strange syntax and ways
of dealing with data... I can find nothing better than writing, "put
char 1 of theWord" since doing the same thing would be plenty harder
in any other programming language.

--
Karl Becker, KB Productions - http://www.karlbecker.com
Featuring:New Tricks, Tiger's Eye Pub, and The Fishin' Hole