why MetaCard?

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jan 7 20:07:01 EST 2002

>Terry Judd wrote:
>>
>>  >They both do the same thing using the same engine, maybe not too obvious
>>  >to you, except that Metacard is stable and the development environment
>>  >is geared towards a more mature audience.
>>
>>  Mature?
>
>Well yes, Metacard is a simple, efficient, stable development
>environment which has just enough controls and tools to help an author
>get the job done, Rev is supposed to do the same thing except that you
>never know if it's your script's error message or the environment's. Not
>to mention that from the time you click something to something actually
>happening is a long time.
>Besides, there is something about Rev that leaves the false impression
>that all one has to do is click a few buttons here and there and have an
>application, which has more to do with marketing then authoring.
>Then there is the support issue: per incident replies as opposed to per
>week replies seem to me more desirable.
>People who buy glitz are immature at best, IMHO.

I agree that MC's IDE is more stable than Rev's (though not
necessarily more mature) although I'm betting (I bought Rev rather
than MC) that Rev's stability will improve substantially over the
next few months - at the end of which I'll have a tool with which I
can be more productive.

I don't usually go for glitz - but I did buy Rev - does this mean I'm
immature or???

Email: t.judd at bmu.unimelb.edu.au
Phone: 03 9344 0187
Fax: 03 9344 4998