MC2.4.2 beta 1 truncated text

andu undo at cloud9.net
Thu Feb 14 15:43:01 EST 2002

Geoff Canyon wrote:

> >just tried to setup a textfield to check this new behavior but do not see
> >any changes to the last version.
> >Which properties do I have to set?
>
> You have to set the tabStops. The default won't truncate.
>
> I'd like to suggest that the truncation behavior be optional. Perhaps a property of the field, tabStopsTruncate, or tabStopsTruncation.
>
> Also, anyone interested in this feature should take a look at text selection when text is >truncated. There are some tricky UI decisions that need to be made regarding how text that is >truncated reacts to being selected, and it would be good to get this right from the beginning.

My comment is that when text is truncated it should have a termination
to indicate that (...) or some flag somewhere so that we can, say,
replace the last visible character with ... or an image; imagine having
2 words in a cell and the text truncated so that only the first word is
visible, there's a good chance to not know of the existence of the
second one.
Also now I see the need for being able to select only one cell in list
mode as an option.