inter-process communication

Larry_R_Huisingh at rl.gov Larry_R_Huisingh at rl.gov
Wed Feb 13 12:58:01 EST 2002

Here is more info that I hope will be helpful.  We communicate using named
pipes between programs we wrote in house.  We have a couple of C/C++
programs that communicate with our MC app using standard Windows API named
pipe functions.  You read/write to named pipes the way you read/write to
files.  FWIW Visual Basic also supports named pipes (we use that language in
our system also).

Named pipes is not a tool to use to communicate with canned applications
(e.g. Word, Excel, etc.).  I might be able to answer specific questions you
might have.  One specific caveat - As far as Windows versions go you can
only create a named pipe on Windows NT/2000/XP.  Windows 9x won't do that.
We are using Windows 2000 Server and Professional.

This may not be the solution you all were looking for but it works well for
us.

Larry Huisingh