Web-Dedicated Metacard

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Dec 24 22:54:01 EST 2002

Andu:

Thanks for lightening up this thread... ( I had to hold myself down
after reading
"OJ certified not guilty")

Much needed/appreciated laughter aside: you make a good point. The
sense of security when in fact anyone with ill intentions will find a
way around it... etc. can be more dangerous...

Then where do we go from here?

Seems  we saying:
a) no please people, be smart, do not distribute MC engine as a player
and
b) do not create a tool that will auto set *.mc  docs to auto boot from
either
       i. the mc engine itself
	ii. some stand alone we might create with the engine embedded.

"there is no difference" (between a and b)  you said.

OK, then if that IS what we are saying (I am losing sight a bit of what
each of you wizards thinks we can/should or should not do. except for
Chipp who seems fairly adamant about being very careful.)

Then where do we go from here?

If we back off for a moment from the goal of "ubiquitous as Acrobat"
then
one middle ground for now seems clear: at least you can distribute a
standalone
whose duty is not to download and run just any stacks, but only those
that we
create and which it calls for. Then we use the web to deliver that
standalone. As we do now from

www.himalayanacademy.com/studyhall/

(fyi, that technology there is 2 years old... (2.3.2) need to upgrade
it all but I want to understand all this first.)

or, Andu, do you mean to imply "No, go ahead and distribute the
engine... there will always be a risk, no matter what you think you can
do to secure it."

mmm. Scott Raney are you lurking? Please do jump in!

Happy Holidays to all!

Sivakatirswami