Web-Dedicated Metacard

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Dec 23 23:43:05 EST 2002

Ok these security issues are good to thrash out... but when  switching
the name of this thread to "Web-dedicated" it was not the intention to
imply that browsers be involved in terms of a launching/viewing
platform. In fact, just the opposite, the objective being to 'just use
the wires!"  and 'leap over" browsers, java, html etc completely. Just
let the browser/html page serve as the "Fed Ex man"/ courier service...
nothing more. A place to go to get your package. Someone earlier said
he HAD to use HTML pages to "let the whole world know," because they
could run on any machine and be Googlized...and any kid on any machine
could see the pix/captions... But one's 'delivery" page could have
sufficient meta tags and key words  and text on the face of the page
that search engines would get people there and stacks/players could
(will!) become as ubiquitous as PDFs/Acrobat Reader. but without
concern over any browser plug-in.

To that end wouldn't having a "player" installer, ala Acrobar Reader,
that could be downloaded from the MC site be a simple thing?  And
non-problematic in terms of security? Envision something like the
existing installers for the Starter kits, sans the home stack and any
other files... i.e. the installers just install the engine and set the
doc/app binding for the platform. That's all. I suppose creating
something like that is trivial for you people, but not if you don't
know how! i.e. looking for an easy solution where we just tell people
"get your Metacard engine here" and 'get my stacks here."  Of course we
would serve the player/installers from our own sites so that we don't
raise a bandwidth issue for Scott and Kevin.

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
katir at hindu.org
www.HimalayanAcademy.com,
www.HinduismToday.com
www.Gurudeva.org
www.Hindu.org

When I switched to this thread i didn't mean