MC front end to PostgreSQL

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Dec 19 13:51:19 EST 2002

Recently, "andu"  wrote:

> If we talk about public web sites the goal should be "absolute
> accessibility everywhere".

This is of course a worthy goal, but it's pretty daunting when you run up
against lack of standards and inconsistent feature support in browsers. I
can't even begin to imagine the trillions of man hours wasted repeatedly by
Web development folks who are forced to solve problems caused by
idiosyncratic browser behavior.

> Unfortunately as long as somebody is going to
> make a buck out of it, html will never evolve and the public will be served
> only half. The excuse that the backward compatibility will sufer is false,
> people do upgrade when they have a reson.

IMO, HTML has evolved; look at all the spinoffs: DHTML, XML, SMIL, etc.  The
bigger problem is (lack of) standards.  No doubt we are moving that
direction with HTML specs, etc, but it's interesting to note that free
competition has worked to our disadvantage in this area:  while each browser
technology attempts to out-feature the other, developers are left having to
create workarounds to make their pages accessible everywhere.  The original
promise of the Web (write once, read anywhere) has been grossly unfulfilled
and even undermined by competition.  Speaking as someone who has faced these
issues for years, I am quite tired of dealing with them and am more than
ready to embrace a technology that makes my life easier instead of harder,
whether it's Javascript, Flash, or a MetaCard/Web implementation.

You're probably be right that someone is making a buck somewhere, but IMO
it's at the expense of those folks trying to build sites for a living.

Me?  Bitter?  No... :-)

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director