mollases mode

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Sat Dec 14 16:36:01 EST 2002

Has anyone seen MC switching into a "mollases" mode? I have seen that
several times and attributed it to other factors, but I just had it
occuring in rather pure conditions, so I am now quite certain that it
is MC itself.

When it gets into this modus, MC is so slow to respond to appleevents
(we are talking Mac OS here) that most of them time out. I can click
to switch to Finder or other app (it takes a while but eventually
happens) and other apps are working fine. In this modus, MC takes a
very long time before it decides to redraw windows. It does not
respond to mouse clicks or command keys. Sending "quit" appleevent
produces an error that applescript dictionary is not available.

Memory does not seem to be a factor. At least there is plenty of free
memory in the system and the utilization bar as shown by finder
indicates that MC has plenty of heap space.

A common factor in each case is that it has been running as cgi for a
couple days. (Yes, it switches into this modus with no user present
at the keyboard.) Same thing for 2.4.2 and 2.4.3 under OS either 8.6
or 9.2.2.

Robert Brenstein