MC 2.5 Script editor

andu undo at cloud9.net
Thu Dec 12 17:39:00 EST 2002

--On Friday, December 13, 2002 09:00:07 +1100 Terry Judd
<tsj at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

>> Cool it may be but I'm not sure enhancements like the one you
>> describe make life easier for the scripter. The time one spends
>> hitting the space key, reading a dropdown menu, choosing something
>> and so on, is most likely longer then just typing the command.
>
> Surely this depends on the length of the command. For mine, this approach
> has clear benefits (both accuracy and speed) when typing urls into
> browser location bars.

You are missing the point, having the browser remember the last visited
sites and auto-complete them for you is quite different from typing
mouseDown, openStack or even doubleMouseUp - a "long" one.

>> I used to get excited at script coloring until I noticed that
>> reading text of different colors was just harder then plain black
>> text. One of the reasons I never felt for Revolution was exactly
>> this richness of features and controls with which I found myself
>> spending more time reading and clicking then writing script. Maybe
>> it's really helpful for the beginners though I remember when I first
>> started with Supercard I spent most of the time in the less featured
>> environment.
>
> Provided there is a careful choice of colours and they are not overused
> script colouring can help you identify many structural and syntax errors
> at a glance. It may decrease readability of the script as a whole but
> then who reads script as prose?

For example those who are beyond syntax errors and are more concerned with
optimizing the script.

>> Considering the huge acceptance and love for Hypercard which was the
>> bare minimum, I tend to believe that this hunger for artifacts has
>> it roots in marketing rather then need for extra functionality, sort
>> of like the popularity of hamburgers world wide.
>
> I think there are plenty of people in the business of instructional
> design/usability business that will disagree with you (not hamburgers).

To be honest, I don't really care to speculate on what I imagine people in
the business of instructional design/usability really think or sell or
whether or not they agree with me, I was just expressing my opinion on the
issue based on my experience.
There might be just as many experts if not more who will agree with me.