launching on Wintel/inter-process communication

Yennie at aol.com Yennie at aol.com
Tue Dec 3 16:02:01 EST 2002

> Simple. Write the milliseconds into the file. Then, when the app launches,
> grab the milliseconds as its "launch date". When it goes to look in the
> folder, it will read in the "leftover" file, but because the milliseconds
> in
> the leftover is *earlier* than the launch date, it is ignored. It will only
> read files written into the "watched" folder *after* the launch date.

The time stamp seems logical- but here's my question: how does a second
instance of the application know what file to look for? That is, if the file
is already there from the first instance which was launched hours ago, how
can it tell the difference between that file and a crashed one. Without using
inter-application communication of course =).

Or am I missing something?

Brian