launching on Wintel/inter-process communication

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Dec 3 13:42:01 EST 2002

Larry_R_Huisingh at rl.gov wrote:

> Actually, with MC, polling can be clean and very easy to implement via the
> "send" command.  At the beginning of your program you "send" a message that
> will execute in 1 second.  Set up a handler for that message to do the poll
> and at the end of that routine issue a send of that same message for another
> second later.  That way the handler sets up the next poll.  The main
> routines don't ever have to have polling in their loops.

Here's the routine I wound up using for "listening":

on PollForIPCDataFile
  put SpecialFolderPath("temporary")&"/fwmcicptemp.dat" into tTempFile
  if there is a file tTempFile then
    put url ("file:"& tTempFile) into tFileToOpen
    get the result
    if (it is not empty) then
      answer "Error reading communication file: "& it
      exit to top
    end if
    if (there is not a file tFileToOpen) then
      answer "Couldn't open file "&quote&tFileToOpen&quote
      exit to top
    end if
    delete file tTempFile
    LoadBook tFileToOpen
  end if
  send "PollForIPCDataFile" to me in 700 millisecs
end PollForIPCDataFile