More CGI Stuff

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Sat Aug 31 05:46:01 EDT 2002

Phil Davis a écrit :

> [...]

Hi Friends, Hi David,

That's trough : under unixes, including Linux, xBSD, Solaris and
probably MacOSX (just tested for yet in graphical mode), Metacard is
able to run, in both console or graphical modes, as a backend deamon,
just alike Apache or PostgreSQL. As Metacard is able to reply (with 100%
of succes) to tcp/ip sockets messages, we have just to use a small
cgi-script (.php than .mt prefered there) to bind Apache to the Metacard
application server.

As we can include in the small .php cgi script different "case of/socket
port" statements, we can have more than a Metacard application server
waiting for messages behind Apache, each one using a different port
(under 1025 in root/console mode, over 1024 in user/graphical mode).

The key points of the use of MC in this way is that it make us able to :

1.- build generic web and vpn applications servers able to store, betwin
and along incoming queries, globals vars datas status in RAM ;
2.- think the application logical architecture before binding it to
custom-props, files-based or SQL-based databases ;
3.- get more power and security in writting clean and reusable code than
in using J2EE-based applications servers ;
4.- bind (directly, trough PHP or shell commands) to SQL servers each
time we need to avoid to store to much datas in RAM (PostGreSQL greatly
prefered there) ;
5.- run multi-threaded networked apps (up to 800 connections/secs on a
Linux Suse 6.3 ATHLON 800 with 1Go of RAM/SWAP) in letting Apache/PHP
open and manage multiple connections to the MC-based web application
server ;
6.- ddevelopp once, install anywehre, even on the win2000 and up
platform.

Even in this kind of stuffs, Metacard can do us able to build the best
professionnal apps. MC just let us think them :)

I can, if needed, rewrite a resume of the detailled ways i use to set-up
those kind of MC apps.

--
Cheers, Pierre Sahores

Inspection académique de la Seine-Saint-Denis

Synthétiser et produire l'avantage compétitif
Serveurs d'applications & de bases de données