Demo stack not working in Linux

andu undo at cloud9.net
Mon Aug 26 15:15:00 EDT 2002

--On Monday, August 26, 2002 11:42:49 -0600 Scott Raney
<raney at metacard.com> wrote:

> No, it's apparently just a conflict in the way the KDE (didn't try
> Gnome) window manager stacks windows: it's putting the backdrop window
> on *top* of the other windows.  Worse, KDE at some point completely
> lost the ability to show a window with no title bar, ruining many of
> the other animation effects in the demo stack.
>
> All this stuff works fine on other UNIX systems, it's just the
> "progress" those wonderful Open Source developers are inflicting on us
> that is making life difficult (and don't even get me started on the
> way they've bungled the libc/glibc version issue, which makes the
> Windows "DLL Hell" problem seem like small potatoes because it only
> affects a few apps and not *all* of them like libc/glibc version
> incompatibilities).

I'd blame only *some* of the Open-Source developers, particularly the ones
responsible for KDE and Gnome for problems regarding X on Linux but also
the  users who get stuck in the above WMs despite their growing size and
slowness (with no gain in productivity), specially when there are so many
better alternatives.