Mixed results with CGI

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Aug 25 05:38:00 EDT 2002

Dave Cragg wrote:

> At 10:56 pm -0700 24/8/02, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> With this script on the server:
>>
>> #!mc
>> on startup
>> if $REQUEST_METHOD is "POST" then
>> read from stdin until empty
>> put it into buffer
>> put "Content-Type: text/plain" & cr
>> put "Content-Length:" && the length of buffer & cr & cr
>> put buffer
>> end if
>> end startup
>>
>> And this script in a local stack:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>> put "data=" & urlEncode( fld "s") into tData
>> post tData to url "http://www.fourthworld.net/cgi-bin/t.mt"
>> put it into fld "r"
>> end mouseUp
>>

>> ...sometimes I get data returned from the server as expected, other times
>> "it" is empty.
>>
>> I'm using the latest version of libURL downloaded from runrv.com, under MC
>> 2.4.3 build number 3.
>>
>> Any clues on why it's sometimes working and sometimes not?
>
> To check if the problem is at the client or server end, you should
> check the result of the post statement.
>
> post tData to url "http://www.fourthworld.net/cgi-bin/t.mt"
> if the result is empty then
> put it into fld "r"
> else
> answer the result
> end if
>
> Also, to test if data is getting read in at the server end, you could
> add a line like this.
>
> read from stdin until empty
> put it into buffer
> put "EXTRA DATA" before buffer
> put "Content-Type: text/plain" & cr
> put "Content-Length:" && the length of buffer & cr & cr
> put buffer

Did that.  It seems to be on the client side. All server data comes back as
expected, but the length of the data coming in from the cliebt is usually 0
(it works about 5% of the time, at seemingly random intervals).

 Custom Software and Web Development for All Major Platforms
 Developer of WebMerge 2.0: Publish any Database on Any Site