Fw: application slowing down

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Aug 23 15:59:01 EDT 2002

On Friday, August 23, 2002, at 12:54 PM, Rich Mooney wrote:

> It makes no earthly sense to me at all that this
> should make a difference.  Anybody have any ideas?

Do you know what those blank lines are in the second report?  Are
those the line-end for the received text?  I assume the blank
Remote: entries are for clearing the buffer before commands.  I
assume the ? are timeouts.

Can those responses include a large number of trailing
non-printable characters?

A null can mess up the display of a field, so I would guess you are
not getting nulls.

I have run across so many logging problems that I created a generic
logging mechanism that displays non-printables in many ways, color
code in and out, log the time or delta time to fraction of a
second, limit the size (as you did) and so on.
Are you using "put after" or rebuilding the field content?  Are you
appending characters to your log one at a time?

Are you sure your 200-line-limitation code really works?  The
getting gradually slower and slower hints it might be this and
maybe one other thing.

OK.  No real ideas.  Just thrashing.

Dar Scott