filename property

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Wed Aug 21 15:31:01 EDT 2002

Actually, a funny thing happens with getting the filename of a stack
that is a standalone on Mac OS X with 2.4.3.

Since the application is built as a bundle on OS X, and the actual
stack is located in a physically different location (not at the place
in the hard drive heirarchy that it appears to be, but actually down
a few levels... right click on your built application and select
"Show Package Contents" to see what I mean), this means that the
fileName of the stack will return something very different from what
you'd expect.

fileName as a stack only:
/Macintosh HD/Applications/MetaCard/My Stack.mc

fileName in a standalone:
/Macintosh HD/Applications/MetaCard/My Stack.app/Contents/MacOS/My Standalone

Something to take into account if you're finding file names in
relation to the fileName of the stack... however, using the directory
that MetaCard defaults to will give you to the directory that
contains "My Stack.mc" and "My Stack.app"

Hopefully that's somewhat clear, though I don't know if that
addresses your problem or not.

I can still get the fileName on my OS X version...

>Has there been a change in the filename property in 2.4.3?
>
>When I use
>     put the filename of this stack into imagelocation
>the variable imaglocation is blank. It used to come back with the full
>path for the stack.
>
>     Thanks
>     Rick

Karl Becker, KB Productions - http://www.karlbecker.com
Featuring: Tiger's Eye Pub, The Fishin' Hole, and New Tricks