Displaying long lines in 'Don't Wrap' fields

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Fri Apr 26 15:24:01 EDT 2002

At 11:57 AM -0400 4/26/02, Shari wrote:
>>I'm using fields with the Don't Wrap property set to true to store long lines of data.  The fields display fine for, say, 300 words in a line, but when there's 700 or more, the words are superimposed on one another.  Is this to be expected?  It's not a problem if the fields are being used only for storage and not display because the data integrity isn't compromised (e.g., you can still get at word 3 of line 1287).
>>
>>	Greg
>
>I experienced the same problem.  In my case, the fields were for storage only, hidden, so the visuals didn't matter.  And as you said, they still functioned properly otherwise.
>
>So it's not just you :-)

If they're just for storage, consider custom properties instead. In either case, load them into varibles for speed.

If they're really large, use external files that can be read into a variable and then closed, so there is only one copy of the really large data in memory.

Regarding fields, I'm not seeing the text display issue, but the formattedWidth is wrapping around to 0 after it reaches 65000, tending to indicate that it is stored as an unsigned two-byte value. Maybe that's leading to your issue as well?
--

regards,

Geoff Canyon
gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com