Check Write Protection

Hugh Senior H at flexibleLearning.com
Fri Apr 26 13:56:01 EDT 2002

Scott Rossi asked:
>On Windows, how does one check if a volume is write protected, such as a CD
>or some other locked volume?
>Related: how does one check the write status of a target folder without
>resorting to checking the detailed folder info of the target folder's
>parent?

What we do is write a dummy text file and test for success or failure... If
it fails it's either a write-protected medium, or the user does not have
write-permissions.

As for the related check for write status, you should be able to use
shell("attrib") to get a file's read-only status (command prompt C:\> HELP
ATTRIB for the syntax needed). I tried starting with this, but it kinda
falls over...

on mouseUp
   answer file "choose file:"
   replace "/" with "\" in it
   get shell("attrib"&&"R"&&it)
end mouseUp

Sorry. Maybe someone else has more insight!

/H