The New G4 Macs

Simon Lord slord at mac.com
Wed Apr 24 19:17:01 EDT 2002

Dude, would you trust reading crap from Microsoft?

Ray, I have 2 G4's and everything works fine, dual boot between
both OS's is easy, running Classic inside OSX works great too.
Learning OSX is not that hard from OS9.  The buttons, text and
UI is generally larger but that's ok (I run my screen at
1920x1024 and need more room still!).  Keyboard and mouse are
flimsy compared to "old yellow", no one will ever make a
keyboard that heavy again.  The only problem with the keyboard
is that the characters fade after a few months (have to be a
hardcore typer though).

Mouse, don't care much for it.  Just buy *any* USB mouse and
plug it in.  They all work, I've gone through 4 mice already
(finally settled on a trackball which greatly reduced pain in my
right arm).

All software *will* require upgrading unless you choose to run
them in Classic under OSX - no problem there.  Mind you, you'll
need 512mb RAM.  After having three G4's running OSX I have
determined that 512mb RAM is where OSX starts to really perform
like a rock star.

For those of you out there with OSX, do yourself a favour and
put your swap on another disk, you'll get a 33% speed boost.
It's seriously a massive difference.

All your peripherals should be fine, I still have scsi cards in
my G4 running old scsi zip drives and a scsi2 Nikon scanner.
Works fine, new drivers from Adaptec even allow for deep sleep.

As for learning OSX completely, just go to this site:
http://www.macosxhints.com and search for anything you want (I
host them :) you'll find all your answers there!

Have fun, and welcome to OSX!