The New G4 Macs

Ray G Miller rgmiller at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 24 17:31:07 EDT 2002

Hi listers,

It's time for me to retire my Trusty 9500 Mac (twice upgraded and currently a G3
300mz with a blurry, blue-streaked 17 inch monitor) to a shinny, new G4, but I'm
not really thrilled at the prospect of developing software under MOS X+....

• So do these new wonder-toys of Mr. Jobs still run MOS 9+ as well as MOS X?

• Will all my software require upgrading (Ex. Illustrator 8.0, Photoshop 3.5,
PageMaker 7.0, Excel 4.0, Claris/AppleWorks 5.0 r1)?

• Can I salvage all those things hanging off the end of Trusty 9500 that are NOT
hotWire or whatTheLastestConnection device is (like HP Scanner, Apple LaserWriter
2g, numerous HDs)?

• Is the learning curve of MOS X somewhat under 12 months?

• Is the keyboard and mouse as flimsy as the pictures show?

---
On another note:
Someone on the list asked what "gamma" release meant. A few years ago, I was told
that the "Industry Standard" definitions were:

• Alpha -- "We're still trying to figure out what this product will do and what it
will look like. There are lots and lots of bugs, and don't be surprised if NOTHING
stays the same. Please, please, please, send your bug reports ASAP."
• Beta -- "We kind of know where we're going with this product, but the design is
NOT really frozen yet and we know there are still lots of bugs here. Please,
please, send your bug reports ASAP."
• Gamma -- "The design is NOW frozen! And we know there are bugs to stamp out. Last
chance for you bug report."
• Release -- "Ok, this is all we can do for this design. Don't tell us about bugs,
because we're already moving on to the next version..."

--

Ray G. Miller
MailTo:rgmiller at pacbell.net
(V) 510.530.1971