Transparent Images

Yates, Glen JAMES.G.YATES at saic.com
Tue Apr 23 10:34:01 EDT 2002

One word, GraphicConverter, or is that 2? :-) If you're are on a Mac and
need to convert images from any format to any other format, then you need
this excellent piece of shareware.

As far as transparency, of the formats Metacard supports, only GIF and PNG
support transparency. And as you have noticed GIF suffers degradation
because the colors are reduced to 256. PNG does not have this problem, and
also supports an alpha channel to give you partial transparency if you want.

My problem, however, is that I can import a transparent image, and it might
look fine when I import it, but when I run my stack it might not show up as
transparent, but a lot of times it does. And whats really weird is that I
can leave a card with a transparent image on it (thats not showing up right)
and come back to it in the course of running my program, and it'll look OK
and vice versa.

In my troubleshooting, I've played around with buffering, both the image
itself and the background, and it has no effect. I've also tried changing
the ink from the default srcCopy to transparent, again no effect. To make
matters worse, it happens seemingly randomly about 1/4 to 1/8 of the time.
Also, this happens on both windows (2000 & 98) and mac (X and 9). So, it
can't be just a video driver thing.

-Glen Yates