Reading files backwards

Phil Davis phildavis at attbi.com
Mon Apr 22 17:17:01 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <xbury.cs at clearstream.com>
To: <metacard at lists.runrev.com>
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 4:54 AM
Subject: Reading files backwards

> Hi Gang,
>
> Got a problem which may help others if there is a solution...
> I need to read the very last line from a file that's 3 - 20MBs large...
> So I tried:
>
> open file blabla for reading
> read from file blabla for -100
> put the result into r
> put it into x
> close file blabla

Is this your actual code? If so, maybe there's a syntax problem? Seems like the above example should be:

    open file blabla for reading

    -- read the last 100 bytes (or last 99?)
    #read from file blabla for -100
    read from file blabla at -100 for 100

    put the result into r
    put it into x
    close file blabla

FWIW. I didn't test my suggestion, so be careful!

Phil