Standalone icons

Mark Talluto fuegox at mac.com
Mon Apr 22 01:26:01 EDT 2002

On Wednesday, April 17, 2002, at 07:08  PM, Xsyscontrols at aol.com wrote:

>>>   I cannot seem to get the document icon to work in my standalone. The
>>> application icon shows up fine. I am expecting to see the document
>>> icon
>>> when
>>> I save any file from my application (automatically)...is this not the
>>> way it
>>> works?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> John
>
>> John,
>
>> What platform are you using?
>
>> -Mark Talluto
>

> I am using Windows. When you build a stand-alone, the compiler asks for
> two
> icons...one for the application, and one for the document. Maybe I am
> misunderstanding the purpose of this (I cannot seem to find details on
> this
> feature in the documnetation).
>
> Thanks,
> JR

JR

Sorry to get back to you so late.  Once you said Windows, I needed to do
some research.  My knowledge of Win is not very good.  I have learned
just enough to get my apps to work on it.  But you prompted me to dive
into the (for me) dreaded registry area.  This is what you will need to
do as well.

You did just fine when you assigned a document icon to your app.  Now
you need to do some reg work.  You have some options.  If this is just
for you, I found using RegEdit (available on your system, just do a
find) to be understandable.  I just looked at the other apps on the
system and copied what was in there for my purposes.  Before long, I had
my doc icon showing up.

If this is for clients, then you can do it from within MC.  It seems
that there needs to be two different references made in the registry.
You would script the following:
get setRegistry("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mg\", "Math Generator") --this line
tells windows to bind the .mg ending to whatever you specify in the 2nd
registry setting named in this case Math Generator

This would would be part one of making documents with the .mg ending
automatically load up in my app Math Generator.  After doing this, my
doc still did not show up.  So I looked further with RegEdit and found
that the app needs another registry setting (for lack of knowledge of a
better term).

get setRegistry("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Math Generator\shell\open\command\",
"C:\Program Files\Math Generator\Math Generator.exe%1") -- this line
creates the 2nd registry setting.  It tells Windows where your
application is stored when the doc is double-clicked.

get setRegistry("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Math Generator\DefaultIcon",
"C:\Program Files\Math Generator\Math Generator.exe,1") -- this line
tells window that you have a document icon.  It will use the one you set
in MC.
Please notice the spacing in the lines above.  If you are off, it does
not work.

Your last option is to have the installer you use do these settings for
you.  The list may have some suggestions on how that works.  I use a
free installer from www.clickteam.com and have not looked into how that
works.

I hope this helps some.

-Mark Talluto