Inconsistent behavior...

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Thu Apr 18 05:38:01 EDT 2002

Here's an extremely fast search function.
The function filters lines from a variable (olist) containing a string...

function FilterLines olist,str
 set the wholematches to false
 put 1 into thisline
  put "" into nulist
  repeat while thisline > 0
    set cursor to busy

    put LineOffset(str,olist) into thisline
    put line thisline of olist & return after nulist
    delete line 1 to thisline of olist
    if olist is empty then exit repeat

  end repeat
  return nulist
end FilterLines

my olist looks contains
4/16/02,11:15 AM,BUFFET,F,543923,15571
4/16/02,11:15 AM,BUFFET,E,475933,53211
4/16/02,11:15 AM,BUFFET,D,441937,31518
4/16/02,11:15 AM,BUFFET,C,15,14
4/12/02,12:51 PM,BUFFET,F,543923,40982
4/12/02,12:51 PM,BUFFET,E,475933,56361
4/12/02,12:51 PM,BUFFET,D,441937,27808
4/12/02,12:51 PM,BUFFET,C,15,14

The string im searching for is ","&"F" &","

When I do the search, with wholematches = true (first line in FilterLines)
only the first line is found... If I set wholematches to false, it finds all
the lines...
Of course, I tried to change the searchstring to "BUFFET,F," but there is no
change.

Can anyone see the problem? I can't search for F alone...
Changing the comma in the lists would mean too much programming changes in
my application...

Why can't this work???

Thanks for any help...
Xavier

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com/_focus1.htm

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER